Our Quaint American Cottage

The McKay cottage has a long and surprising history in Bend Oregon

The History of McKay Cottage

This classic 1916 craftsman bungalow was once located along the Deschutes River in Drake Park overlooking Mirror Pond.  It was the home of Bend pioneer’s Clyde and Olive McKay, and later their son, State Senator Gordon McKay.

In 1973 the home was moved to its present location on OB Riley Road further up the Deschutes.  It has served as a cafe, a private residence, a cigar bar, and even a “party house” for locals.  Over the years, the McKay house was slowly refurbished to its original condition by consulting the Deschutes County Historical Society for clues on the home’s original decor. 

A New Beginning

In 2005 owner Pam Morgan fell in love with the McKay house and it’s wonderful history.  Pam purchased the former business and renamed it McKay Cottage to reflect the home’s original ownership.  In 2006 Pam opened the casual breakfast and lunch restaurant that would go on to become a Bend Oregon icon.